Have you ever noticed that green patch of grass they always have at Kauai? I’ve always assumed it was just for decoration till one day I saw them cutting it and juicing it for a customer. So I did some research and found out that this grass, known as wheatgrass is extremely healthy for you and by taking just one small shot of wheatgrass juice every now and then, you can benefit your health tremendously.
Wheatgrass is one of the most potently healthy substances on earth and you’ll feel a change in your health just after a few weeks of taking it. One shot of wheatgrass contains about 1kg of leafy green vegetables, over 90 minerals and essential enzymes. It’s a powerful detoxifier for the liver and blood, and the amino acids in wheatgrass can protect you from carcinogens like no other food or medication.
Other benefits include:
- Increased red blood-cell count and lowers blood pressure
- Stimulation of the thyroid gland and suppresses appetite
- Prevents bad breath and promotes healthy gums
- Neutralizes toxic substances like cadmium, nicotine, strontium, mercury, and polyvinyl chloride.
- Restores alkalinity to the blood, wheatgrass can be used to treat peptic ulcers and gastrointestinal tract infections
- Returns hair colour to its natural colour and has been used to counter act hair from turning grey
- Improves skin condition, restores youthfulness and clears up Rosacea
- Externally applied it can be used to treat itching, sun burn, athletes foot, cuts and burns and acne
Wheatgrass can be consumed in many different ways; you can find it in capsule form at your local health shop or buy wheatgrass powder and mix it into smoothies or juices. The most common and potent way of consuming wheatgrass would be to put the grass through a juicer and drink a shot of wheatgrass juice (which can be done for you at Kauai or at home if you own a juicer).
As the famous phrase goes nothing good tastes nice, the taste of wheatgrass isn’t for everyone and it does take a bit of getting used to. So here are a few recipes you can try if you’re not brave enough to take a potent shot of wheatgrass but still want the healthy goodness:
Tropical Passion Wheatgrass Smoothie
* 2 kiwi
* 1 guava or papaya
* 1 cup pineapples
* 5 strawberries
* 1 orange
* 2 shots of wheatgrass
Combine all juices and serve slightly chilled
Sweet Grass Special
* 2 large red apples
*1 large orange
*1 teaspoon certified organic honey
*pinch finely ground cinnamon
* 1 shot of fresh wheatgrass juice
Juice apples and orange in standard juicer. Combine apple, orange and wheatgrass juices in a pitcher and stir to combine. Warm honey until it liquefies and mix into juices. Pour into individual glasses and dust lightly with cinnamon. Enjoy!